Working for You
This is no time to sit still. We know you’re hustling as best you can with the current health crisis and economic fallout. We are too. TGA’s efforts in D.C. ensure we have a voice in the economic policy being crafted to aid industry and small business, and we’ll maintain that pressure for as long as it takes. Keep up with our D.C. news on the Industry Updates: COVID-19 page on the TGA Website, and know that we’re alongside you for the duration.
Member Elert: TGA’s Efforts on Your Behalf
Dear TGA Member,
First and foremost, your safety and health – and the health of your family and colleagues – is of the utmost importance to the Travel Goods Association (TGA), especially in these times of uncertainty.
The severe economic impact of the coronavirus on our industry is undeniable. From the grounding of travel, to slowdowns in our supply chains, to the systemic retail shutdowns across the country – our economy and industry is one of the hardest-hit. And even though many of you are having revenue challenges, we know that you still have expenses to pay, from personnel and product to rent and utilities.
The future of our industry is at stake. We want you to know that the Travel Goods Association is fighting for you, and fighting for our industry, every day.
Over the last week, TGA has actively lobbied Congress and the Trump administration for:
- Duty deferral – contact Nate Herman to learn how to contact Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to defer your duty payments
- Tariff relief – immediate elimination of all punitive tariffs on U.S. travel goods imports from China and immediate refund of all punitive tariffs paid to date
- Greater access to capital – injecting much needed liquidity into the system
- Tax credits to keep workers on payrolls
- Financial assistance to small businesses
TGA is working with coalitions large and small to achieve these goals (liquidity letter, Americans for Free Trade (AFT) letter to administration, consumer goods industry letter, AFT letter to Congress). We will continue to do so until we obtain much needed relief for our industry, and will be in touch when we have updates for you.
Until then, stay safe and healthy – and know that we are advocating on your behalf. You’re not in this alone.
Michele Marini Pittenger
Travel Goods Association
Thank You for Putting on a SHOW
TGA would like to extend a BIG thank you to everyone present at this year’s Travel Goods Show – attendees and exhibitors alike. Thank you for remaining undeterred in the face of difficulties such as China tariffs and trade war uncertainty, an unfamiliar host city, and the challenges surrounding COVID-19. You practiced what we preach, as an industry of travel encouragers and enablers, and brought a tangible, can-do attitude to The Show. As a whole, feedback received so far is overwhelmingly positive, and we hope your New Orleans experience reflects that. Please help make next year even better – fill out the Post-Show Survey invitation that was sent to you earlier this week. And know that we’re very grateful for your participation this year. We’ll see you next year when The Show returns to Las Vegas Feb. 28-March 2, 2021!
Product Innovation Award Winners Revealed at The 2020 Travel Goods Show
The year’s best new travel items made their debut at The Travel Goods Show, the travel goods industry’s annual gathering. After serious deliberation, the Travel Goods Association’s panel of expert retailers selected the following standouts from this year’s crop of new travel products as TGA Product Innovation Award Winners:
- Best Use of Technology: AeroPress Go Travel Coffee Press – makes Americano, espresso and cold brew coffee in 1-2 minutes, and fits in its own travel cup.
- Best New Luggage: Rollink Flex 21” – hardside rolling cabin-size suitcase that folds flat, to a slim two inches, for storage.
- Best New Backpack: Standley Leanbag – kick back with this day-size backpack that converts into a seat with backrest, with retractable aluminum stand and waterproof sit pad.
- Best New Travel Accessory: Uno Travel Pillow – gel-infused, high-density hydrophilic memory foam pillow with ergonomic shape and near-360º support.
- Best Eco-friendly Product: Lightload Eco Towel – full-size beach towel, compressed to pocket size and more absorbent than cotton or microfiber, thanks to bio-based lyocell material.